Skip to main content

Life is Better with Friends


Hi guys!

Erica back on the blog today with quite a quick card. Quick but elegant if I may say so myself! Although, there were a fair few fails and 'oh, shoot!' moments along the way.



This actually looks nothing like what I first had in mind. I was going to do a skinny panel with the flower as focus and have glittery card stock or washi tape on one side for contrast. When I went to trim the piece of card stock I had stamped and coloured the Splendid Rose stamp on, I accidentally trimmed off a sliver of the flower! Talk about #EpicFail... To cover up this boo-boo, I decided to cut the image out a little bit instead. I started out leaving a border around the flower and thought I'd place it so the bit I had cut off using the trimmer would be on the edge of the card. Well, it was a good cover up plan but I managed to mess up again. Yep, it really wasn't my day...

To fix this second fail, I cut as close as I could to the heatembossed edges of the image and decided to use a black background to really make my flowers pop. I coloured them with Zig Clean Colour markers by the way, I love them but need to practice the blending and how much water to add to avoid some harsh lines. I probably need to invest in some more Zig friendly card stock too.



The background card stock I die cut using stitched square dies to get that nice edge and add some interest. It's such a lovely little touch I think and I use my dies for this effect almost every time I make a card. The card base is a lovely linen card stock in a light purple colour and I also cut out a stitched label in the same colour, which I stamped the sentiment on to match.

When I started to put the card together, I thought the black card stock looked a bit flat and boring so I decided to stamp and heatemboss a lovely flowery background on it. It's a simple way to add some interest and elegance without too much fuss. However, and I hadn't realised this until after the piece was already heatembossed, some bits of white embossing powder must have gotten mixed into my clear embossing powder as there are white flecks all over the image! Big oops... Told you it wasn't my day! Gah...

At this stage, I was quite frankly a bit cross and cranky so I decided to just keep going rather than bin it. I am going to buy a new pot of clear embossing powder though and maybe a separate powder catcher-thingy... Whatever those are called? You know what I mean though, right?

Anyway, despite all the fails and mishaps, this card didn't take that long to make and if I decide to
reproduce it, it will be even quicker.

To create some dimension, I added the label with the sentiment (which is from Beautiful Bloom-Sunflower) using 2mm thick foam tape and the flower got adhered using 3mm thick foam tape.




Despite the fact that this card caused me a bit of a head ache, I like the results. Maybe I should try and actually make the card I had in my mind when I started though? Now that I know what I did wrong, I can try and avoid them. Oooooooor, we will have something totally different again. Who knows?

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends who celebrate this week!

Big hugs from Erica

Love and Laughter,
  Photobucket

Comments

  1. LOL!! Erica, you make me laugh!! Real life, right! After all of your critique, I think this is a gorgeous card! Fabulous purples against that dark background with the embossing. Love all of your loving details and the card is so elegant and beautiful! No one would ever know all of the things even happened!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Layered Card - Featuring Kennedy Grace Creations: Time To Blossom

Hey folks! I'm back to share a card from the Kennedy Grace Creations New Release! The stamp set I used today is the Time To Blossom Stamp Set . I really enjoyed the simplicity of this set. You could totally heat emboss this and do some fabulous watercoloring, but Copic's seems to be the way to go for me lately so that's what I did. I started by stamping the image twice on my card panel. The only masking I did was a tiny bit on the stem. The name of the game was to keep this super simple folks. As I said, I colored the images with Copic's. Another thing I enjoy about the Time To Blossom Stamp Set is that you could choose any colors you wanted. I chose red-violets and yellow-greens, but seriously peeps, whatever floats your boat and it will looks great! To finish off my card, I used a added a couple of hand drawn lines to the background and I stamped a portion of a stamp that is also in the Time To Blossom Stamp Set . That's it! Easy peasy. T

Grand Opening Blog Hop

Hello Crafty Friends! Wow it has been a long time in coming but today is our official GRAND OPENING!  We are so exited for today!! We have been planning this for a very long time and can't wait to show you.  We have lined up some of the MOST AMAZING talented ladies in the crafting world on our hop today!  We hope you will enjoy all the amazing projects they will be sharing! Our Newest release is now available in the Kennedy Grace Creations Online Store.  https://squareup.com/store/kennedy-grace-creations What I created for the hop is this beautiful card. Metallics on cards is beautiful and I like the combination of it with flowers. I am using the brand new Beautiful Blooms Sweet Rose stamps set. It is a large rose stamp set with various sentiments.  It is so detailed and very pretty.  To celebrate our GRAND OPENING - Kennedy Grace Creations will be giving away 3 random winners $25.00 gift certificates to our Online Store. All you have to d
Welcome to the CDD Stamp & Die Release Blog Hop.    All stamps & Dies are in the  CDD Shop  and no w available for purchase. You may purchase stamps and dies here   Autumn Wishes Bundle The Autumn Wishes Bundle is available for this weekend only thru Sunday.  This special price is for what is in stock only and ends 8/30 10pm MST. We also have 3 new sequins                                                      Here's what I've created for you... I created for you this really cute scarecrow garden scene card.  I stamped the adorable girly scarecrow from the Autumn Wishes stamp set on to watercolor paper in Versafine ink and embossed it with clear embossing powder.  I colored her in with Tombow watercolor markers.  I then added some wink of Stella over the hat band and hair bands to make them pop.  I stamped several of the pumpkins, leaves, acorns and mushrooms coloring them all the same way. I then cut som